Hanging in Hangzhou

October 26th, 2015 hanord17

I was Skyping with my parents the other day, and we realized I am more than halfway through with the fall semester.  The past few weeks seem like they have gone by fairly quickly.  I definitely miss autumn in New England, but I am happy with how things are going here as well.

Here is the boring part:  As if I were back in the States, I have going to class during the week, doing work and studying, eating lots of food, and hanging out with friends.

Here is the heartwarming part: Instead of going to the fields to see the fall foliage at its finest, I went to the park with my language class to interview old people.  Our lesson the day prior focused on the breaking of the iron-rice bowl in China and the effect it had on retirees.  It was really interesting to talk with people, and the park we went to was beautiful.  I think it is great that so many retirees go to the park daily.  They can fish, practice martial arts, and even take flamenco classes.

Here is the fun part: While going apple picking and eating cider donuts is not something you can do in Beijing, but I did sing at karaoke* with a lot of students from CET two weekends ago.  Until just then, I did not realize how much I miss the stage.  I have been dancing since I was three years old and still dance with Holy Cross Dance Ensemble (Did you go to their show last weekend?  If not, and even if you did, you should certainly go to their two performances in the spring.)  As a tribute to spring concert our first year on the Hill, all the Holy Cross students sang Nelly’s Hot In Herre together.

Here is the most typical study abroad part:  Rather than return home to Connecticut after midterms, I took a 16-hour train ride south to Hangzhou.  We were only there for a couple days, but we visited a Buddhist temple, tea fields and West Lake.  I also ate hot pot and tried the region’s famous Beggar’s chicken, Dongpo pork and green tea.  Even though I lost both the address to the hotel and my room key, I made it back to the hotel and still really loved my time in Hangzhou.

Here is the uplifting and entirely cliché part:  I am envious of everyone at home now.  I miss being with my family and friends, seeing the leaves change, drinking chai lattes, sitting by the fire.  But I also am looking forward to whatever the last half of the semester will bring.  We realized there are many places in Beijing we have yet to visit, so we decided that for the remaining Mondays, we will go somewhere in the city.  Today we went to the Temple of Heaven; next week is the Forbidden City.  Until next time,

-Holly

*Check out this song:  “Karaoke” by Smallpools

Yunqizhuqing

Lin Yin Temple

Purple Bamboo Park

二百六十班 My Chinese language class with our teachers.

Holly Nord '16