Thailand

April 24th, 2016 hanord17

I have wanted to go to Thailand for years now, and last week I finally got to spend the week there with two classmates!  Knowing we were going to be traveling to Bangkok, Phuket, and several nearby islands definitely was my motivation to get through midterm exams.  Although we all ended up with food poisoning at the beginning of the trip, we had a really great time overall.

In Bangkok, we went to most of the famous landmarks including the Grand Palace, temples, and floating markets.  When we got to Phuket, it was 100 degrees so we joined in Songkran traditions and celebrated the Thai New Year.  It was great to spend the majority of our time outside swimming, snorkeling, and exploring.

It is always hard to return from vacation, but I realized I really do like my life here in Shanghai.  While we were away, we all realized how much we loved Chinese food, learning Chinese, and living with our roommates.  When I leave in six weeks, I definitely will have a lot to miss.  At the same time though, I am looking forward to interning at Worcester Community Housing Resources, Inc this summer.

In other Worcester-related news, I enrolled in classes last week. (Or more accurately, my amazing roommate actually registered for me because I could not connect to the server.)  Next semester I will be taking two classes in the Chinese department, two in the political science one, and a religion course in the Classics department.  I am also pleased to announce I will be a program director at the SPUD site Let’s Get Ready.  Next week, we will know where we will be living next year… which I cannot believe because it does not seem like we are already rising seniors.*

Until then, enjoy the photos below, all taken by my friend Katherine.  And even though this was written in 2011, I recommend reading this brief by Joshua Kurlantzick at Council of Foreign Relations: Thailand: A Democratic Failure and Its Lessons for the Middle East.

-Holly

*Check out this song: “On Our Way” by The Royal Concept

Khao Phing Kan

Khao Phing Kan

Canal tour featuring Wat Arun

Canal tour featuring Wat Arun

Bangla Walking Road, Phuket

Bangla Walking Road, Phuket

Grand Palace, Bangkok

Grand Palace, Bangkok

Grand Palace, Bangkok

Thai ice cream rolls

Thai ice cream rolls

Pineapple fried rice

Pineapple fried rice

Patong Beach, Phuket

Patong Beach, Phuket

Holly Nord '16