Finding Order in Chaos

September 7th, 2015 hanord17

I have now been in China for the past two weeks, and my time here has already been completely different from anything I have experienced before in the past.  Luckily, on the second day of class, we learned this expression, which serves as a good piece of advice to anyone trying to acclimate to a new situation:  乱种有序,find order in chaos.

For instance, if you cannot drink the tap water, order it boiled.  If you think having dumplings for the sixth meal in a row will kill you, venture to the expatriate district in town.  If you cannot even read the instructions at the top of your homework, ask your roommate.  If the price is too high, ask if it can be adjusted.  If you see someone who looks like Usain Bolt, take a picture just in case.  If your home or college friends cross your mind*, set up a time to Skype.

If something else seems strange, shrug your shoulders and remember that this is a great opportunity.  Remind yourself that just because something is new, it is not necessarily a bad thing.

There are many things in China that are completely different, but also really awesome.  For example, you do not have to tip waitresses or waiters.  The bars and clubs play American music (mostly from the early 2000’s) that everyone can sing along to.  One of my classes only has three students and another has just two, so we all learn a lot because we have to talk almost the entire time.  At restaurants, people all share and you can try so many more dishes on the menu than you would have if everyone ordered individually.

If you are feeling lonely, hang out with your friends, read a book, write in your journal, appreciate what you have.  If you are feeling overwhelmed, create a routine and give yourself something to look forward to.

Find order in chaos.

*Check out this song: “Cross My Mind” by Twin Forks

Day trip to the Summer Palace

Day trip to the Summer Palace

The girl on the right is my roommate Yu Jie aka Jenny

Thank you always being here

Thank you for always being here

Disney-themed wine — another example of quirky things in China

2 Responses to “Finding Order in Chaos”

1. Terri Gerber says:

Wonderful blog Holly. Fun to follow your adventures.

Terri

2. Andrea Tankin says:

Holly,
    I love your blog! Hope you are enjoying the time in China. I am sure that there are times when you wish you were home or back at Holy Cross, but the experiences you are having must be amazing. I am sure you will have wonderful stories to tell us next year!

Harry spent much time in different parts of China for business. Even years later, he still talks of great experiences!

Lots of love,
    Andrea and Harry

Holly Nord '16